Network of Congregations Home Page
This describes the database that is being provided for.
What information to collect and how aggressively to collect it is matter of policy.
The design certainly provides for more than will be collected,
but it may be easier to provide for more than is needed than to later redesign the database.
To see how information is to be publicly displayed, see
St. Gregory's Episcopal Church
as an example.
The symbol precedes information on persons.
Where green italic words appear, it means we have the information but have suppressed
it for display on the internet.
- Top priority is to protect personal information.
Data is divided into two sections.
Some is identified with a faith community ("INSTITUTION") and that is not considered confidential.
Other data is identified with persons and that data is considered private.
While building the database it is important to be able to learn what data we have,
so the availability of private data in our database
is shown with a green italic font which identifies the field for which we have data but not the data itself.
We need to develop procedures so that private information is available when it is needed.
- The next big addition to our database will be to add information from Pastor Alex Bess.
- When we have the address for a faith community, the name is linked to a Google map showing how to get there.
If we only have a P.O.Box, then we can't link to a map.
- This database is for congregations, not for service providers even if they are faith based.
Service providers, including those faith based, are in a separate database called
- The following are the fields provided for "persons" in the database.
How much of this information to collect for each person depends on policy yet to be decided and the willingness
of persons to provide this information (despite our care to protect privacy).
- CONTACT name, as in John Jones
- Title e.g. "Rector"
- Phone direct line to this person at place of work
- PhoneH home phone
- Fax fax (not needed if fax at place of work applies)
- Cell mobile phone number
- Email email address for this person at place of work
- EmailP personal or home email address for this person
- Fam Denomination (family of congregations, e.g. Catholic)
- Status reserved for later use
- Comment reserved for later use
- Abbr acronym to identify this person's primary faith community
- Prefix Mr., Mrs., Rev., etc. (might eliminate this if not needed for Mail Merge)
- FName first name (might eliminate this if not needed for Mail Merge)
- MI middle initial or middle name (might eliminate this if not needed for Mail Merge)
- LName last name (might eliminate this if not needed for Mail Merge)
- Suffix Jr., Sr., II, III (might eliminate this if not needed for Mail Merge)